Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Bunker

They dug it.
Shovels in hand they worked for hours.
Wyatt the engineer.
Wade the worker.
Initially wanting to dig until they found lava.
They settled for a bunker.
The perfect project for two adventure seeking boys.


After being satisfied with reaching clay and not lava, they enlisted Dad's help for the steps.
It's perfect hide-out, safety from flying arrows, shelter, picnic spot, trap for sister and tornado shelter.

Plus it can serve as a totally refreshing bath.
Or a mud wrestling pit.
And what's better yet is Mom fits!
I believe when telling some friends about their newly constructed bunker they said, 
"Yeah, it's SO big that even our MOM fits in it."
True, true.  SO big!  Thanks for that guys!

But, my favorite part of this story is that a couple days after they had completed bunker construction a trespassing rabbit, reported by eagle eyes Willow, met Dad's pellet gun.  The boys were left with instructions to dig a grave for the rabbit.  We picked out a plot and instructions were given regarding dimensions.  I told them to come get me when the hole was dug so we could proceed with the burial service (and I could check the depth of the hole).  It couldn't have been five minutes later, they came to the door reporting, "Mom, we just went ahead and said the prayer and buried that rabbit.  You don't even have to come out."
Ahemnmmmm! Red flag?!  I walked to the burial plot brushed a thin layer of dirt aside and found the deceased.  "BOYS!" I exclaimed, "This rabbit is not buried but just sprinkled with dirt." 
"Oh mom, digging is just so much work!" replied Wyatt
And then Wade added in, "This is just too hard.  There is no way we can dig a hole that deep."

1 comment:

  1. Nancy...I love your blog and hearing about those adorable kids of yours. Always brings a smile to my face! Dawn

    ReplyDelete