Monday, July 23, 2012

The baby...

rolls over.
How is it that each milestone is so exhilarating, exciting and terrifying all the same time?
It is.
Yesterday, I had the best day with my babies.  I played dinosaurs, dug in the sand, cuddled, snacked, splashed in the water, wrestled, read stories and giggled.  The house work didn't happen.  And I was ok with that.  Truly okay.  It was reckless abandon.  I didn't fight the urge to stop and pick up, I didn't feel the guilt of clothes wrinkling in the dryer and rather than glare, I smiled at the crumbs on the kitchen floor.
I was having fun and the kids were having fun too!
This morning when I woke up and saw the piles of laundry, fingerprints and general  mess of the house it made me smile.  It was like a badge of accomplishment.  I let it go!  For REAL.
I know that soon I will send my boys to school.  They won't always want to marry me or have me be the cook on their grown up cowboy ranch.  They won't always want to rub my back for a quarter or tell me my tummy looks like pizza dough (!yikes!) or tell me I look totally beautiful when I get dressed for the day and put on lip gloss.  I won't always get butterflies from every smile, coo and roll.  My baby won't always giggle from her changing table, the chubby thighs won't be celebrated and she won't love me to pick out her outfit much less change it 3 times a day.
I am witnessing the sweet miracle of growth.
I want to celebrate the change, store up the sweet days and not just watch these little ones grow up but journey with them.
Never have I been so challenged or humbled.
I'm vowing to have a lot more days of motherhood reckless abandon.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and really enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your momma's heart Nan-a-Fran! Keep going for it! - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could nickname Willow, it'd be 'Willow the Blessing' because that's excactly what she is. A blessing from God.

    Blessings

    P.S. tell Wyatt (and whatever Wade's name is; it was kinda hard to tell at church...) I said hi!

    ReplyDelete