Friday, December 4, 2009

The Letter I wanted to write.

Oh, how I love getting Christmas mail! In a state of thunder I wrote this letter yesterday. Shamefully yet needless to say I am ever so human…..What if we all sent Christmas letters that were this authentic? Mmmmm.....

BAHUMBUG Blessings to you! Oh yes, yes we are delighted and thrilled for the Christmas season. Everything is so simple and pure about the Christ child coming to earth so that we might live anew in HIM. The Christmas story is miraculous, it never gets old and seeing it through the eyes of our two year old has moved us to tears. In fact, after one misbehaving encounter today he says, “Mommy, I sorry. Me want Jesus to be happy now.” Through glistening eyes I said, “Me too buddy, me too.” However, this holiday hubbub is NOT so simple and pure. Let me tell you what today has been like. Oh let’s see…..my darling boys ages 2 ½ and 1 year have absolutely driven me to a state of near insanity! I am fuming at them for disobeying, hitting, kicking each other, squeezing lotion all over the carpet, fighting, making many a mess, playing loudly, inhibiting me from accomplishing even the smallest of tasks, eating and laughing. “Oh sweetie, but that is what little boys do” you say? Alright, truth be told this is a typical day here on the ranch. And typically I am perfectly sane, or maybe better stated, able to function and most generally I levitate between tender moments, playful wrestling matches, storybooks, make-believe and a fall-on-my-face-praise-God-I-have-this-marvelous-opportunity mentality. But today dear friends and family I really want to break, smash or destroy something, not someone. “Oh, but why?” Here’s why: groceries need gotten, meals need planned, Christmas décor needs to be dug out and fall décor needs to be put away, dirt needs to be vacuumed, lotion stains removed from carpet, laundry to fold, gifts to be bought, elderly to visit, family to please and contend with, holiday baking to be done, Christmas cards to be mailed but not before I get the stupid Excel spreadsheet to merge for mailing labels, husband to love, cherish and let know how marvelous he is, plus nurture , love, and rear two little boys and oh, did I mention seeking to honor and thank God in all I do? Gulp!

Whew, I feel much better now. Off I go with a new found ‘happy heart’ to count my numerous blessings and give thanks for the opportunity to celebrate the birth of my Savior!

6 comments:

  1. Yep, that was me a few (actually more than a few) years ago - ask my hubby about the time I couldn't stop crying and said "I HATE CHRISTMAS!!"

    One of those overload moments - it will pass.

    Old Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nanc! I hear ya! The other night I was telling Kirk how overwhelmed and stressed I was and well, bless his heart, he didn't have a clue why! I could have written a letter really similar to yours!

    I don't know about you but I am so glad we are in this together! I am glad God's given us our friendship for such a time as this... motherhood.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nancy - I feel your pain. Everything you said reminds me of my house and how are we (Moms) suppose to enjoy the Christmas season!
    Hope you have a Merry Christmas~
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. so thankful for you who you are. I appreciate your willingness to be REAL and authentic with all of us. I am so thankful the Lord has choosen to bless me with your friendship, and encourage each other on this walk of motherhood and being wives, betty-homemakers, taxi drivers, meal planners, shopping experts, postmasters, etc. etc. love you and praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Nan...You don't get told enough how great of a mom you are! You will be blessed! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nancy....I love it! Sounds like many of Christmas letters (or journal entries of my own that no one sees/hears or reads....well maybe poor Dan. Wish I could send Olivia or Seth over to play....anyway...your realness is refreshing...not alarming...it is so difficult to get things done when their ain't no cooperation ;) Squeeze 'em (gently HA) and send them to Lila...I heard she had to back out the other day and was so devastated. Get them over there ASAP and you will fix 2 problems...a few hours to work like mad (or sleep like mad, or drink coffee like mad or read a book like mad or...) and Lila will get to smother them with love and candy...did I just say that. :) Love you! Shelly

    ReplyDelete