Today is the day.
Nurse Nancy returns to the hospital.
There is much anticipation....whether it be what is going to transpire at home or at work.....it will be good to get it over with! I searched high and low for this poem today. This was written by a high school classmate's Dad during my first year of nursing school. There are many "inside" jokes tucked in his writing, but it has brought me much motivation and giggles in the past eight years.
Enjoy.
The biceps she builds
Baling hay in the spring
Will come in quite handy
When patients she slings
From gurney to bedpan
To wheelchair and such
The doctors will gasp
But they still ain't seen much
When she pins on her name tag
And starts making her calls
The whispers will resonate
Down through the halls
Nurse Nancy they'll say
From their bedpans and chairs
Is the one we want
For our medical cares
Pill and injections
She will dispense with ease
She can cure everything
From the flu to a sneeze
The charts will be kept
Updated and clear
With the number three pencil
She keeps behind her ear.
Of course, not all days will go smoothly
And the tough ones you'll tell
Cause that is when she lets loose
With her goat callers yell!
A shriek that's so shrill
It will travel the wards
And shatter the sutures
Of ladies and lords
It will shrivel the navels
Of newly born kids
The kind born without wool
And who sleep under lids
She says it takes off the pressure
And relieves the stress
From working all day
In that hospital mess
And speaking of kids
You may thinks it's a yarn
But I've heard she keeps hers
Outside in the barn!
Now the things I have said
May or may not be true
But when I need a nurse
I'm still going to call on you!
Denny Hammer
January 2001
HILARIOUS!! Seriously, I just about fell off my chair laughing! Hope your first night back to work went smoothly!
ReplyDeletePraying for you guys as you transition back to working. I hope your first night went smooth. Keep up the great work, Nancy you're a wonderful mom!
ReplyDelete~meg
funny poem! you are a crack-up! Send me some of your cute family pics so i can download to Aunt D's frame!
ReplyDelete